Site of Walnut Hill, home of Kingsport’s first permanent resident Col. Gilbert Christian in 1775. He originally settled in 1761 and vowed to return one day. He assembled an 850-acre plantation at the mouth of Reedy Creek that spanned from Netherland Inn to today’s Church Circle, including lands on Long Island itself. He built a large log home where he lived the rest of his life. The John Lynn, Sr. family occupied the home from 1814-1846, then Dr. James H. Vance, M.D. in 1846.